Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Slow Burn: My Journey into Warhammer - Part 2

Where did I leave off? Oh yeah, I didn't know what the heck was going on with my sudden infatuation with all things Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. (Click HERE if you missed Part 1.)

Back in November of 2016, as I was coming from Hattiesburg one night driving into Tylertown, I decided to stop by Now Playing, the gaming store in Tylertown, MS. As I was chopping it up with the owner, he says, "Man, Reggie, you're my type of gamer. You play everything." I said, "You know what? You're right! Everything EXCEPT, tabletop RPGs and Warhammer."

"Well, why no, D&D?", he said.
"I never had a group to teach me or play with. I'd love to learn," I replied.
"OK, we can make that happen here at the store. What you NEED to do, is get on Warhammer."
"Man, that shiznit is high, and I can't paint worth a damn. I don't have time to build and paint. I need the minis ready to hit the table, " I said.
"Jim will paint them for a reasonable price. Plus, I'll knock off a few bucks off a box if you want to get into the game," he said.

I'm pondering now. Should I? Shouldn't I? This would be another game I'm getting into...I know I would want to have a diverse army...diverse means more cash. I have a wife, 2 kids, a wrestling company to think of, and a shiznit load of bills.

"Alright," I said. "Is there a starter box?" Deep down, I'm hoping that it will be so expensive that I can talk myself out of it!

He turns and shows me all of the 40K Start Collecting boxes and boxes for other units...I was overwhelmed. How can a strategy player choose an army that fits his play style when  he doesn't even know the armies other than the Orks and Space Marines! After showing a good variety of factions, I told him, "I've always liked Orks. Orcs in WarCraft and Lord of the Rings, etc. I even have the series of Orcs novels from the UK by Stan Nicholls. (HERE is the wiki for it. It is a very good series. Orcs are the protagonists!) Then he says, "Space Wolves are cool, too!" As he handed me the box, I could see that he was right.

"I tell you what Reggie, why don't you get this Sanctus Reach StormClaw box. It has both of them in there, Orks AND Space Wolves. I'll knock a few bucks off if you want to get it."

How could I pass THAT up?? After talking with Jim on price for painting, I broke down and bought the box and give swiftly handed the box over to Jim. I was all in now. Wait a minute...I have a painter now!! I can do fantasy! Sigmar here I come!!! I was already starting to plot on AoS before I had even played a game of 40K!!

Jim did a great job on the armies:

They started a Kill Team league in December at Now Playing...I participated and had a very good time. Now I need to scratch my fantasy itch. Problem was, nobody, and I meant nobody played Age of Sigmar at Now Playing...

Only one thing left to do.

Head to Hattiesburg and Top Tier.

Part 3 coming soon...


You can reach me all over social media and gaming sites:
Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram - krimsynn
Xbox Live, PSN, and Steam - Krimsynn
email - krimsynn@gmail.com
If you like pro wrestling - http://www.youtube.com/powersslamproductions





No comments:

Post a Comment