Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Star Trek: Discovery news!

 
 
CBS released a teaser video of Star Trek: Discovery last night to announce the start of production on the new series. Take a look:                                                                                                                    
 


I'm curious to see how this show turns out. It has two major strikes against it in my book. First, it is set a decade before classic Trek so everything will appear to be much more technologically advanced. I had the same problem with Enterprise, to be honest. I'm not really sure what the appeal is in explaining Star Trek history through new shows. For my money, they should skip ahead 200 or so years after Deep Space Nine and do something there with a clean slate.

Second, watching the show will require subscription with CBS' All Access, the network's version of Hulu focusing on their programming and online only original content. The same thing happened with me when Voyager came out. I didn't have UPN so the show just disappeared out of sight, out of mind.

I like Star Trek, though it will always exist as the Riker to Star Wars' Picard, but I don't know if I have it in me to chase it down. That worries me because I'm willing to bet there are lots of people who don't feel like committing to the extra leg work to view the show.

What about you, will you lay down the $6 dollars to Boldly Go?

No comments:

Post a Comment