Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Slow Burn: My Journey into Warhammer - Part 1

I remember when I first saw some Warharmmer 40K miniatures on a table. I was in college at the University of Southern Mississippi in the fall of 2001. It intrigued me, but I didn't have a clue what it was. My biggest question was, "What game is on this huge table at here at the comic book shop?" The second time I 40K, Around 2006 or so, I was in the Northpark Mall in Jackson, MS, and at one time they had a gaming store in the mall. Again, another HUGE table, with a ton of models. I didn't hear a single thing or know anyone that played Warhammer and it faded from my mind. Until a few years ago when I started to frequent Now Playing, the gaming store in Tylertown, MS. The owner, Allen Smith, has THOUSANDS of models on display and it is truly a sight to behold. However, I still didn't really know what Warhammer was, because I just basically didn't bother to ask. Perhaps I should give you just a little more backstory first.

I'm a gamer. Always have been. Video games, board games, card games, you name it, I probably play it. One of may favorite things to play however is strategy games on PC. I've played all the greats. From the oldies (the Dune, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft, Civilization series), to the new age 4X  and turn-based style of play (Homeworld, Total War, Age of Wonder, Company of Heroes, etc.). So when I got a chance to buy Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 on PC in 2009, my first thoughts were, "Hey, here is a strategy game about those miniatures I saw in those stores." It was a damn fine game and it received praise from many gaming communities.

Back in 2016, Top Tier hosted a Warhammer : AoS Paint and Take event. You'd get to paint some miniatures, THEN some of the local players were going to show new people the rules. Needless to say, when I heard about this event, I was pumped since I would get a chance to learn the rules and wait...PAINT?!?!  Eh, no biggie. This will be a good time to bond with my oldest son. We can play a few rounds of Pokemon, then walk two tables back and paint! He'll love it! (He did.) The first thing I noticed were all the dice and having to use a tape measure, but the models...the models looked amazing on the table with the terrain. It was as if a strategy PC game come to life! After getting a chance to hear the rules and see the game in action, I was hooked and VERY intrigued. I wanted to play it! I wanted to win the drawing for the starter box...until the eventual winner opened his box, and I saw...sprues. Lots and lots of spures. I also saw the price tag. Hmmm, $125, plus I have to build AND paint this shiznit! Aww hell naw! Do you know how many PC games I can purchase during a sale on Steam for $125? Not to mention how many wings I could purchase at Hooters?(100+) I still have to beat Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and get back on Dragon Age: Inquisition! When would I have the time? My son and I left Top Tier that night, wanting to explore the new game and it's fantasy world (we both LOVE fantasy) but at the time I thought it was too much money and too much work. It seemed like my lil flirtation with Warhammer had ended. To stay somewhat connected, I purchased Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game for my son and I to play. We really enjoyed the theme and the co-op gameplay. AoS was still calling to me, as I noticed myself watching battle reports and painting guides on YouTube more and more each day. What was happening to me??

To Be Continued...


You can reach me all over social media and gaming sites:
Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram - krimsynn
Xbox Live, PSN, and Steam - Krimsynn
email - krimsynn@gmail.com
If you like pro wrestling - http://www.youtube.com/powersslamproductions

No comments:

Post a Comment